This delicious combination of mango and gooseberry makes this rice a tangy treat. High in fibre gooseberry also contains vitamins A and C which make this rice dish nutritious. This herb and spice infused mix is aromatic and a culinary delight.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Serving size: Makes 3 servings
- 1 cup rice
- ¼ raw mango
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 gooseberries (amla)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 10-12 green chillies
- 2 tsp split black gram (urad dal)
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cook rice.
- Remove seeds from gooseberries and cut them in fine pieces.
- Remove the outer skin of mangoes and cut them in fine pieces.
- Slit green chillies into two pieces.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan and crackle mustard and cumin seeds.
- Add urad dal and fry until it turns light golden. Add slit green chillies, curry leaves and fry well. Add chopped gooseberries and raw mangoes, fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and mix.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 6-8 minutes. Let the mixture cool. Add cooked rice to the mashed mixture and mix well. Season according to your taste.
Nutritive value per serving:
- Energy: 197 kcal
- Protein: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fat: 5 g
- Fibre: 8 g