The aroma of apples stewed with cinnamon is just too hard to resist! The fruity and spicy aroma and flavour are guaranteed to delight the taste buds. We have used whole wheat flour instead of maida and corn flour to make the pancakes; as these refined flours will raise blood sugar levels rapidly.
The healthy pancakes are then stuffed with fibre-rich apples, tinged with cinnamon and a dash of lemon. Cinnamon, apart from giving the Apple Pancake an awesome flavour, is also very helpful in controlling blood sugar levels. People with Diabetes can enjoy the Apple Pancake as a dessert, occasionally.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes 7 pancakes
For the pancakes
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp low-fat melted butter brush (for greasing) and cooking
For the apples
- 28 apple wedges, unpeeled
- 1 small stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp sugar substitute
- Combine the whole wheat flour, salt and 1¼ cups of water in a deep bowl and whisk well. Keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it with a little melted butter.
- Pour ¼ cup of the batter over it and cook using very little melted butter till it turns light brown in colour.
- Turn the pancake around and cook on the other side as well.
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 to make six more pancakes. Keep aside.
- Combine the apples, cinnamon stick, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of water in a broad non-stick pan and mix gently. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes while tossing it occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the sugar substitute and toss gently. Keep aside.
- Place a pancake on a clean dry surface, put 4 cooked apples on one side of the pancake and fold to make a semi-circle.
- Repeat step 8 to stuff six more pancakes. Serve immediately.
Nutritive value per pancake:
- Energy: 81 calories
- Protein:5 g
- Carbohydrates:8 g
- Fiber:3 g
- Fat:9 g