This warm and hearty lentil soup is perfect for the monsoon season and is enriched with the goodness of beet greens which are a great source fibre, protein, phosphorus and zinc.
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Makes: 6 servings
- 2 cup lentils (tuvar dal)
- 1 bunch of beets leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Wash and drain the lentils. Soak them in 6 cups of water and add fenugreek seeds, turmeric, 1 tbsp of ghee and salt to the lentils and pressure cook them for two whistles.
- Blend the lentils in a blender until smooth.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of ghee in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and fry for 15 seconds until they pop.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook them for another minute.
- Add chopped beet greens, cover and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the beet green mixture to the soup and mix well.
- Add lemon juice and salt for taste. Serve hot.
Nutritive value per serving:
- Energy: 121 kcal
- Protein: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fat: 4 g
- Fibre: 5 g