Know your medicine one dose at a time! By Dr Manish Bothale
Mechanism of action
Insulin Degludec is ultra-long acting basal insulin which provides 24 to 48 hr basal insulin coverage as compared to the others. Insulin Degludec, is available in two strengths: 100 units/ml and 200 units/ml. Insulin Degludec also has the ability to be mixed with other insulins, thereby improving glycaemic control. It has a flexible, three times a week dosing regimen that can be administered at any time of the day.
It is administered by a subcutaneous injection only.
The advantages of Insulin Degludec are-
- It releases a steady, stable, peak less, continuous insulin concentration for at least 24 hours
- It has the ability to be used as mono-therapy and as part of a basal-bolus regime, as well as in combination with oral hypoglycemic
- It is efficacious, safe and well tolerated in people with both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- It can be used once daily or thrice weekly, thus representing an advance over the existing insulin
- It is possible to change time of insulin injection, if needed
- There is no weight gain
It may result in hypoglycemia (but it has a very low incidence rate as compared to other available insulin)
May be used
Adults who have Diabetes (both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes) may use Insulin Degludec. It is also useful for people who have glycaemic variability.
Should not be used by
- Children with Diabetes (age below 18 years)
- Patients with hypersensitivity
Dr Manish Bothale is Consultant Diabetologist at Chellaram Diabetes Institute in Pune