This delicious rice with a bit of an added flavour can be served with your favourite curry. Rice contains carbohydrates and may cause the blood sugar levels to rise. People with Diabetes are recommended to consume this rice delicacy in moderation.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
Serving size: Makes 5 servings
- 150 g brown basmati rice
- 5 g stick cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 50 g green peas
- 50 g carrot
- 50 g cauliflower
- 300-400 ml vegetable stock
- 75 g low fat curd
- 10 g oil/home-made ghee
- Salt to taste
For the paste
- 50 g fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 5 cm piece root ginger, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- Soak the brown rice in 500 ml water for 2 hours. Drain and set aside.
- Make a paste by grinding all the paste ingredients together. Set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan. Add oil or ghee, cinnamon, cloves and green cardamom.
- When they begin to change colour, add the onion and other vegetables. Cook until light brown, stirring continuously.
- Add the drained rice and continue to sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the prepared paste and salt. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring it to the boil.
- Cook covered on a low heat until the rice is done. It can take 30-40 minutes.
Nutritive value per serving:
- Calories: 160 kcal
- Proteins: 02 g
- Fat: 75 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fibre: 38 g
- Sodium: 2 mg